Monday, June 11, 2012

Another "Momism"

I'm grateful for the things my mother has taught me.  I often think about one of her other one-liners and it became particularly pertinent (I love alliteration) a few months ago.  Makes me think of a poem I learned in 8th grade History (Mr. Everrett). 


Procrastination is a crime, it only leads to sorrow
I can stop at anytime, I think I will tomorrow. 


Back to my subject- she says, "What good is going to come from this?" in reference to our pending actions or in thinking about what we are about to do.  I think it's a great way to gauge what we should and shouldn't be saying, doing, thinking.  


I had a long post written for this topic and after reviewing it, found it to be preachy and redundant.  The bottom line is- Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.  If it's hurtful and mean- stop it!  If it's just negative and rude- stop it!  There is just too much meanness, pride, hatefulness, idle gossip, judgment going on in the world...do we really need to be a part of it too?  


I am far from perfect and have done every one of these things I've mentioned.  I am constantly trying to do better and be better.  I feel that one of my strengths (as my mother who has known me for 34 years has pointed out- thanks mom) is that I don't have malicious intentions.  The things I do are NOT to climb socially, get others to like me, or to hurt others.  I do what I do (the good things at least) out of love- and the not-so-good things I do...mostly come from a lack of understanding or a weak moment.  


I often think of the scripture, "...he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her." (John 8:7).  This was speaking about a woman who had been caught in the act of adultery and the law of Moses (was being fulfilled or changed when Christ was on the earth) but nonetheless required that she be stoned to death.  I love this story because I have found myself being like that woman.  Not worthy of forgiveness, but grateful for it.  The one thing I find repulsive though is insincerity.  If you don't mean it, don't say it, don't do it.  


How sad that we live in a world where we would rather step on someone-pushing them down- in order to get a leg up.  Is that really going to do us any good in the long run or is it (like my mom says) just going to leave a lot of dead bodies in our past.  


Something to think about.  Something I'm grateful to ponder and be better about.  Negativity (and even apathy) should have no place in our hearts.  That's not what we're here for.  


My two cents

No comments:

 
arrow-up.gif