Thursday, August 19, 2010

No elbows (or cell phones) at the table...

This past Friday night, my husband and I went on our traditional date night.  We had a lovely evening shopping and we ended with dinner.  While at dinner, our kids called (separately) more than once.  After the fourth or fifth call (I stopped counting), my husband asked if it was okay for him to just take the call at the table.  I gasped and said, "of course not!" to which he replied, "just checking".  I ran in and out of the restaurant, which was distracting and rude also I'm sure, to field calls about all kinds of nonsense- but at the end of the night, we were able to enjoy dessert "call free".

This incident did spark conversation between my husband and me about what is appropriate at the table and what isn't.  We both try very diligently to keep our cell phones put away and the only calls we will take are from our children while we are out together- but even then, and in a noisy restaurant, should you be taking calls at the table?  My answer is No!  Calls should be handled in private because even when you think you are having a "private" conversation, one tends to raise their voice while sharing comments to the person on the other end of the phone, so whether you intend it or not, it's not a private conversation and others are forced to listen to you speak about whatever.

My other pet peeve that I'm going to rant about is texting or talking on the phone while having face-to-face time.  I find it so rude that someone will answer endless phone calls while spending time with me (I mostly let it go to voicemail-kids and hubby excepted, and I can get back to them later).  I think if you are with someone you should love the one you're with and keep the cell phone usage, whether to text or talk, to a minimum.

On a separate note, I have had so many emails about my choice not to accept comments anymore on this blog.  I have to reiterate that it's not because of the negative feedback (I welcome naysayers)- it's because I am getting more advertisements than comments.  I have found my blog to be more of a library reference and I have also found that if people disagree (or agree) they will Facebook me or email me and let me know, so moderating the comments just becomes a waste of time.

I can't wait to get back into the blogging swing of things when my kiddles start school next week- enjoy the fleeting days of Summer!
 
arrow-up.gif