Friday, March 12, 2010

To be loved...


It's been a difficult few weeks (as I'm sure you can tell by my short fuse as I write). We've had some challenges at home with my husbands health that have been scary and serious and he is the strong one and my rock. Anyone who knows us can tell you that.

The medication they put him on while they are waiting to find out what is going on with his heart has aggravated his stomach and he has a history of ulcers that bled from when he was a boy (my poor sweet husband)- so he stopped taking that as of this morning which makes me more than nervous. I put a call into our Dr. so hopefully we'll hear back soon on that end. That's not the reason I'm writing though- that's the set up for what I'm going to tell you.

As I'm dealing with this small but real crisis (and my eight year old is home really sick)- my little precious toy doggie is digging into the cat pan as I'm on the corded phone (who owns those anymore?)- and can't move to chasten her! She's digging away for "buried treasure". My sweet, loving, intuitive five year old daughter (my baby), jumps off the bed without being asked and says, "mom, let me clean the cat pan!"- and she gets the dog out of the cat pan and whisks her outside and proceeds to do just that. I got off the phone and just watched her and then helped her finish as tears ran down my cheeks.

To me, that is the essence of service and true love- especially for a five year old! What do they hate more than cat poop? not much! And yet she cleaned the entire pan so that Nellie, the naughty dog, wouldn't get into the pan which she knew was distressing me while I was on an important call.

I aspire to be more like my five year old daughter (and like all my children) every day. They teach me how to love unconditionally, how to serve selflessly, how to give freely, and care for others effortlessly. I love you babies and I hope to become more like you- thank you for teaching me today what it's like to be loved and how to love.


2 comments:

Jeannette said...

May I just say "Awww!" What a wonderful reminder from an innocent. I'll pray for your husband too.

Julie said...

That is so sweet! What a cutie pie!!!!

 
arrow-up.gif